The investment attorneys of Gana Weinstein LLP have brought a claim on behalf of an investor who suffered a loss of nearly all of their assets due to investments made by their Wells Fargo Advisors, LLC (Wells Fargo) advisor, Andrew Kevlahan (Kevlahan), almost exclusively in master limited partnerships (MLPs), Business Development Corporations (BDC), commodities linked investments, and other private equity high yield funds. The investor is 79 years old and retired with her husband.
The complaint alleges that on or about May 2011, the couple had become completely retired and had a securities backed loan with Wells Fargo secured by their investment account. The complaint alleged that due to these major lifestyle and financial circumstance changes, which were disclosed and known to Kevlahan, the couple’s investment objectives, income needs, and risk tolerance had changed requiring suitable investments that would diversify and protect the couple’s savings.
Instead, the complaint alleges that Kevlahan failed to properly advise the investor and breached his fiduciary duty to his client by continually increasing the concentration of the account in risky high yielding investments. By May 2011, the complaint alleges that concentration of high yield investments and MLPs grew to more than 50% of all of the investor’s assets. Despite the change in life circumstances, the complaint alleges that Kevlahan used his discretionary authority in order to continually increase the amount of risk in the account and by August 2014, the investor had a concentration of 62% of the couple’s assets in MLPs and 18% in other high yield investments – a total of 80% of the couple’s assets were exposed to extreme risk.